This table is intended to capture a "first pass" applicability of a wide range of control techniques to a range of control problem features/attributes which might be found. First Pass means a general relationship, as opposed to the many nuances or customisation of the techniques which can be made. This table is a starting point only!
To update the table, GET the spreadsheet (use Attach File at the footer), edit it, create a GIF picture of the table, upload both as attachments to the page and, provided the GIF picture has the same name as before (need to delete old before adding new), the new table will be automatically displayed below. The built-in wiki table formatting cannot handle the required vertical text in the table.
Look below the table for brief descriptions of both control problems and control (solution) techniques (todo!).
Control Solution / Techniques
- change table entries to include more information (e.g. extent of suitability, full-solution/part-solution)
- try O,o for "supports the use of", and X,x "hinders the use of"; where upper- vs lower- case indicates strength of influence.
- add more table entries, correct suspect entries
- break techniques into more specific implementation details, e.g.
- constraint control - n x PIDs + max/min combiner
- constraint control - FOPDT model + direct calculation of output (no closed loop)
- but not constraint control - MPC, this is a specific technique
- add descriptions of problems, solutions.